Iso Lomso Fellowships 2022 for Early Career African Researchers | Fully Funded: Application for Iso Lomso Fellowships 2022 has commerce!
This organization aims to facilitate and support fellows towards becoming established scholars in their fields. ILF provides a three-year attachment to STIAS to enable fellows to develop and conduct a long-term research program of their preference.
For a successful application, ensure you read through this piece to the end to learn the full details about this award- the eligibility criteria, requirements, application deadline, and more.
Important Facts About Iso Lomso Fellowships
Do you know the meaning of Iso Lomso? Iso Lomso means ‘the eye of tomorrow’ in isiXhosa: seeing towards the future, laying the foundations for tomorrow. The program is aimed at African scholars who have obtained a doctoral degree within the preceding seven years and who hold an academic position at a university or research institution anywhere in Africa. Candidates should have established a research program and have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD program. All disciplines are considered.
Iso Lomso Fellowships- Eligibility & Requirements
To be eligible for the 2022 call, applicants must:
- be a national of any African country;
- be born after the 1st of January 1980;
- have an affiliation at a research or higher education institution in an African country, and continue to do so for the foreseeable future;
- have obtained a doctoral degree from any recognized higher education institution (worldwide) after the 1st of January 2015;
- have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD research program;
- be in a position to commence the first period of residency at STIAS between July 2022 and June 2023. Every field of study will be considered. Applicants from non-Anglophone African countries may conduct their research in the language of preference; however, the application documents must be completed in English. Applications will be evaluated and selected based on the following criteria:
- Level: the applicant’s academic excellence and the originality and scholarly strength of the proposed research project;
- Innovation: the project’s promise of new insights and the potential to produce new knowledge;
- Interdisciplinarity: whether the project methodology allows for drawing from different disciplines and its potential to facilitate an interdisciplinary discourse;
- Relevance: the project’s relevance for scholarship and knowledge production in Africa;
- Feasibility: whether the research design and the research plan are convincing and realistic.
In the final selection, additional consideration will be given to:
- gender representation;
- diversity of nationalities;
- diversity of disciplines;
- participation in previous or current research projects;
- previous international experience.
The main means of support are STIAS residencies. Residential periods will be agreed mutually between the fellow, his or her home institution, and STIAS, and may vary between six weeks and five months per residency. The first period of residency will typically be of a longer duration to be taken up between July 2022 and June 2023, followed by two further residencies through 2024. While in residence fellows receive regular STIAS fellow support which includes:
- an economy return flight;
- comfortable accommodation within walking distance from the institute;
- individual offices equipped with a PC, telephone, and printer;
- a monthly stipend for daily living costs;
- access to the Stellenbosch University library (including electronic resources) and a high-speed internet connection;
- participation in the regular STIAS fellows program, including daily lunch, weekly fellows’ seminars, STIAS public lectures, and social events;
- a child care subsidy for fellows accompanied by young children while in residence.
Iso Lomso fellows’ home institution will be eligible to apply for a lecturer replacement subsidy during residency periods. This will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis with the home institution after the fellowships have been awarded. It will be the fellow and the home institution’s responsibility to recruit replacement lecturers.
While not in residence at STIAS Iso Lomso fellows will continue their regular academic duties at their home institution. During these periods fellows may apply for a range of research sponsorship interventions. These elements will be considered flexibly to ensure that each fits optimally into the research program. They may include:
- a subsequent residency at a sister institute for Advanced Study or relevant research institution in North America, Europe, or elsewhere (this will form part of the ten months’ residency allocation; the fellow’s preferences for potential host institutions will be considered);
- funding to attend up to two relevant academic conferences or research training events (covering travel, visa, accommodation and
- limited project funding for key interventions in the research program;
- the possibility of hosting a workshop at STIAS or their home institution as a means of strengthening the fellow’s scholarly network and research impact.
Iso Lomso Fellowships- Overall Benefits
Residence at STIAS
A three-year attachment to STIAS during which time you may spend a total of 10 months in residence at STIAS to develop and pursue a long-term research program
The possibility of a residency at a sister institute for advanced study in North America, Europe, or elsewhere
Funding to attend up to two international conferences or training workshops anywhere in the world
Support to convene a workshop with collaborators at STIAS or their home institution
Support for your institution
lecturer replacement subsidy for the fellow’s home institution during residency periods
- Application deadline: 15 February 2022
- Shortlist selection: 30 April 2022
- Final selection: 31 May 2022
Selected and Shortlisted may be contacted during May 2022 for any additional information that may be required about their proposed projects. A final selection will be made by the end of May 2022 and successful candidates will be contacted during June 2022. These dates may change and will be updated on this page.
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage